Sierra ClubPartner Organization
The Sierra Club’s members and supporters are more than 2.7 million of your friends and neighbors nationwide. Inspired by nature, they work together to protect our communities and the planet. Founded in 1892, the Club is America’s oldest, largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization. The Sierra Club’s mission is to: (1) Explore, enjoy, and protect the wild places of the earth; (2) Practice and promote the responsible use of the earth’s ecosystems and resources; (3) Educate and enlist humanity to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment; and (4) Use all lawful means to carry out these objectives.
Sierra Club has 150,000 members and supporters in Michigan. They are volunteer-led, and actively coordinate work on many levels. The Michigan Chapter works with volunteer leaders, state agencies and the legislature for better environmental stewardship statewide.
Our members care about clean water and air, wild biodiversity, and a safe energy future, and they help us work towards these goals by supporting efforts to:
- Raise public awareness of human health and environmental threats.
- Monitor water quality to help enforcement efforts.
- Build coalitions for our issue campaigns to diversify support.
- Find sensible policy solutions to our state’s problems.
- Take legal action to stop corporate interests and government from harming public health and resources.
- Fight for environmental democracy — we lobby on critical environmental issues and report back on lawmakers’ actions — we have a strong citizen lobbyist program, helping connect members to their lawmakers on important issues, and we also rally voters to elect pro-environment leaders.
For more information please see the Sierra Club